Lawyer Bait

The views expressed herein solely represent the author’s personal views and opinions and not of anyone else - person or organization.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Move along, nothing to see here...

It is being reported that Sidekick data has been recovered/restored, yet I have yet to see a forensic breakdown of what happened to get it back.

I was perusing a pice this morning at SYS-CON's site - http://wireless.sys-con.com/node/1143427 that discusses the 'lessons learned'.

#1 is The cloud is not redundant. Um, duh. As I pointed out in my last post, you cannot expect technology to do something it is not aware of (like backups, setting restore points, etc). Assuming that the cloud is anything but computing and storage resources made available to rent, is foolish. You still need to design how the cloud will work for you.

#2 Know your vendor - I don't know about you, but when I think mobile phone for $100, I am not thinking about the systems used to support the phone, the network, or anything else. I expect that I will be able to use the device and the network in a reliable fashion. I do not expect my vendors to cover my ass when it comes to backing up stuff that is important. If it's important, I back it up, If not, I am prepared to lose it, even if I lose it beacuse of laziness.

Anyway you get the picture. The cloud is not the Government that will magically develop processes and solutions to make up for our lack of discipline, awareness, or any other character fault.

Take responsibility and if It's important, make a copy. If it's really important, make two copies...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us What You Think!